Colder weather calls for warmer food, and there’s nothing like a steaming hot bowl of homemade soup to heat you up from the inside out. But let’s be honest – few people have time for homemade. By adding these ingredients to store bought soup, you can trick your taste buds, and even your family, into thinking you’ve been slaving away over a pot for hours.
1. Pesto + Parmesan: You seriously can’t go wrong by adding these two ingredients to anything, so why not your soup? Simply throw in a heaping spoonful of each, and just like that, you’ve got yourself a meal full of vibrant, cheesy flavor. And remember, fresh bread for dipping never hurts.
Recommended pairings: Chicken soup, tomato soup, or beef soup
2. Salsa + Cheddar Cheese + Sour Cream: Throw an impromptu fiesta in your kitchen tonight, and make an easy at home version of Groovin’ chicken tortilla soup; add salsa to warm soup, and top with cheddar cheese and sour cream for a delicious meal fit for a celebration. If you really like to party, serve with tortilla chips…and a sombrero.
Recommended pairings: Chicken soup, vegetable soup, tomato soup, beef soup, chili
3. Plain Greek Yogurt + Lemon: It’s avgolemono (Greek egg and lemon soup) made super easy. Squeeze fresh lemon juice and a spoonful of plain Greek yogurt into your soup, heat it up, and watch a creamy, zesty meal come alive before your eyes. The Greek yogurt will make the soup rich as eggs would in traditional avgolemono, but will also add a pleasant, mild tang. For extra pizzazz, add dried or fresh dill.
Recommended pairings: Chicken soup, vegetable soup, beef soup
4. Buffalo Sauce + Cream Cheese: Buffalo chicken soup anyone? It sounds crazy, but it’s the most delicious thing you’ll ever make in 5 minutes. Heat chicken soup with a spoonful of cream cheese, stir to incorporate, and then add hot sauce to taste. For best results, make sure your store bought chicken soup is plain without many added herbs.
Recommended pairings: Chicken soup
5. Tortellini + Tomato Sauce: Store bought tortellini and tomato sauce will transform canned soup into a dish very similar to Groovin’s own tortellini soup. In a pot on your stove top, heat up the pre-made soup, then add tomato sauce and tortellini and cook until the pasta is tender. It’s so tasty, it’ll make your nonna proud…just don’t tell her it’s from a can. Top it with shredded cheese or parmesan to kick it up even further, because melted cheese = a melted heart.
Recommended pairings: Chicken soup, beef soup, vegetable soup
Delicious soup, saved time, and saved energy are all beautiful things. By adding these ingredients to store bought soup, you’ll definitely be winning at life this winter.