At Groovin’ Gourmets, we love catering weddings with a nice southern flare. They have a relaxed, comfortable vibe, and the food is full of flavor and soul. In recent years, chefs around the nation have had a blast reinventing and updating southern food, creating modern, refined takes on classic dishes that will absolutely wow even your hardest to please guests. Whether your wedding is low-key or black-tie, these southern foods are sure to be a huge hit at your wedding:
1. Shrimp and grits: This quintessential southern staple is an absolute must-have at your reception. Originally served for breakfast in the marsh lands of the south, its popularity skyrocketed when it first appeared in restaurants in the 1980’s. At Groovin’, we offer classic shrimp and grits, as well as fresh takes. Our Charleston shrimp and grit canapés, which are cheddar cheese grit cakes topped with shrimp in a thyme scented brown roux velouté, are a great portable version of this dish, as are our shrimp and grit bites with andouille sausage.
2. Chicken and waffles: Salty and sweet, and soft yet crunchy, this killer food combo is appropriate for any time of day. Your guests will love the natural whimsy of this dish, especially if you choose to serve it in the form of Groovin’s chicken and waffle bites. We prepare ours with a peach and horseradish syrup that brings the sweet and savory elements of this dish together flawlessly.
3. Mac and cheese: Few things are more comforting than a great macaroni and cheese. Adults and ring-bearers alike will enjoy this down-home dish. Serve it as a side with your buffet, or be contemporary by offering it in the form of either Groovin’s fried mac and cheese bites, or truffled mac and cheese bites. Both are coated in breadcrumbs and cooked to an irresistible golden brown, making them perfect little bites of upscale comfort for your cocktail hour.
4. Red velvet cake: Yes, your southern theme can even roll over into dessert! Whether you’d like to go all out and have your entire wedding cake red velvet, or include red velvet cupcakes into a dessert bar, this brightly colored dessert epitomizes rich southern cuisine and will serve as a great conclusion to an outstanding meal.
5. Barbecue: Regardless of your preferred style, there’s no doubt that barbecue will be a crowd pleaser at your wedding. But don’t worry, serving barbecue doesn’t have to equate to countless dirty napkins and wet wipes; there are many ways to offer it that won’t leave your guests needing to change their outfits. Groovin’ Gourmets dishes up many variations that will fit the specific formality of your wedding, including braised brisket with blueberry barbecue sauce, barbecue pulled beef arepas, served on gluten free corn pancakes, and our best selling Carolina barbecue bites, served on cornbread rounds with braised sweet and sour cabbage!
Including any of these delicious southern foods into your wedding will create the comfortable, southern vibe you’re looking for. If you’re interested in sampling any of the listed dishes, call us at 804.868.8900 to speak with one of our wedding coordinators and schedule a consult!